Upcoming Conferences & Workshops
October 4, 2022
8:30 am - Noon, CDT
In-Person, Live Streamed, and 60 days Asynchronously
with weekly follow-up blogs for three months!
NIU Naperville Room 105
Includes Free Parking and Continental Breakfast
6 PD Hours
How do we help all of our students do the work of learning, with care -- as best they currently can? I've spent the past ten years of my teaching career reading, experimenting, and interviewing experts about what lies at the heart of student motivation. What I’ve found is straightforward: for our students to flourish long-term and move toward
mastery, they need to be motivated from the inside out.
Specifically, they need to believe five key things.
- Credibility: I have a good teacher.
- Value: This work matters to me.
- Belonging: People like me belong in classes like this.
- Effort: I can improve my knowledge and skills through effort.
- Efficacy: I can succeed at the challenges this class presents.
Cultivating these five key beliefs in the heart of each learner doesn't mean becoming a miracle worker or a
workaholic. Instead, it takes understanding how the beliefs work in the heart of a learner and what evidence-based strategies most efficiently help them to grow.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Secondary teachers, counselors, administrators, and professors
- Understand how the belief spectrum works to help or hinder motivated student learning;
- Apply simple, robust methods for cultivating the Credibility, Value, and Effort beliefs in every classroom;
- Understand how motivation relates to engagement and why the difference can help us find efficiencies in the face of overwhelming demands on our time; and
- Leave with practical next steps for teaching and learning.
Dave Stuart Jr. is a husband and father who teaches high school in Cedar Springs, MI. His blog, DaveStuartJr.com, is read by over 50,000 educators each month, and his bestselling These 6 Things: How to Focus Your Teaching
on What Matters Most has been cherished by teachers and leaders around the world. Dave is also an accomplished creator of professional development experiences, having spoken on nearly 200 different occasions, both overseas and in 40+ US states.
Early Bird before 8/1/22 $179.00
IL ASCD Member $195.00
Non-Member $244.00, 2 people $234.00, 3 people $224.0
How to Register:
- Online: Use your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express card at http://www.illinoisascd.org
- Call: 800-877-1478 or 309-438-2160, Mon. - Fri. 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. and use your Visa,
MasterCard, Discover, or American Express.
- Mail: Send completed form with check or copy of PO to IL ASCD Stuart— Illinois State University, Conference Services, Campus Box 8610, Normal, IL 61790-8610.
- Fax: Fax completed form to 309-438-5364 using your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express or a copy of school P.O.