Upcoming Conferences & Workshops
K - 2 MATH GAMES AND STRATEGIES FOR TEACHING PLACE with Jane Felling
OCTOBER 3 - GRADES K - 2 - PLACE VALUE
OCTOBER 5 - GRADES 3 -5 - PLACE VALUE
OCTOBER 17 - K - 2 - OPERATIONAL FLUENCY
OCTOBER 19 - GRADES 3 -5 - OPERATIONAL FREQUENCY AND MULTI-DIGIT OPERATIONS
(Pick One Workshop or All of Your Favorites)
ALL FROM 3:30 - 5:00 PM CDT
ALSO AVAILABLE ASYNCHRONOUSLY ON-DEMAND
OPEN TO TEACHERS ACROSS THE US AND CANADA
Place value concepts form the foundation for success in all areas of the math curriculum. Place value needs to remain front and center in your teaching as you work through the rest of the year. If your students do still have gaps or learning loss, this is a workshop that will really help you rebuild their confidence and competence.
You know where your students are after the start of school and this workshop will help you continue to work on solidifying the following concepts:
- composing/decomposing numbers
- comparing numbers to 100, 1,000
- identifying place value holders
- understanding 10's, 100', 1,000's and representing with manipulatives and pictures
- developing the foundation for rounding and expanding numbers
- using number lines for patterns and estimating sums and differences
Throughout the workshop participants will play games that incorporate the use of cards, dice, and number lines, and get ideas for easily differentiating the activities so that all learners can be engaged and successful. Games can be used in centers, small groups, or whole class instruction. You will receive an extensive PDF handout with gameboards, math journal and math talk extensions, and concept skill checklists for assessment. This is a hands-on session PARTICIPANTS NEED TO HAVE ON HAND A DECK OF CARDS AND 8 REGULAR DICE, A COPY OF THE PDF HANDOUT. Optional 0 - 100 number line and place value dice. PARTICIPATION DOOR PRIZES, COME PREPARED TO PLAY.
ILASCD Member $125.00 for one session or $99.00 for two or more sessions each
Nonmember $174 for one session or $148.00 for two or more sessions each
Please see the brochure below for additional rates
How to Register:
- Online: Use your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express card at http://www.illinoisascd.org
- Call: 800-877-1478 or 309-438-2160, Mon. - Fri. 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. and use your Visa,
MasterCard, Discover, or American Express.
- Mail: Send completed form with check or copy of PO to IL ASCD Fellings Math— Illinois State University, Conference Services, Campus Box 8610, Normal, IL 61790-8610.
- Fax: Fax completed form to 309-438-5364 using your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express or a copy of school P.O.
Do you have anything interesting or exciting that focuses on "balance" in your work as a teacher or leader that you would like to share with educators around the state? This quarter's ILASCD journal will focus around the theme of balance. Let us know how you and your coworkers have created balance. We would love to hear from you!