Upcoming Conferences & Workshops
JULY 27, 2022 - ISU NORMAL
NOV 3, 2022 - NIU NAPERVILLE
Feb 9, 2023 - SIU CARBONDALE
APRIL 13, 2023 - EDWARDSVILLE
9:00 am - 3:30 pm
6 PD HOURS
Continental Breakfast, Free Parking, Lunch On Your Own
Do you struggle with student engagement? If so, this hands-on workshop offers an inside look at 10techniques to transform your students into active learners and standout leaders. With over 40 years of combined experience serving as self-contained classroom teachers, departmentalized classroom teachers, curriculum coordinators, instructional coaches, administrators, and college professors in teacher education, Dr. Brandy Hempen and Dr. Dee Ann Schnautz have truly seen it all. This is exactly why all K-8 teachers, coaches, and administrators should join them in this one-day workshop highlighting 10 collaboration techniques that will take classroom discussions to the next level.
In their book, 10 Techniques to get Students Talking, the pair highlights low-prep, high-impact, research-based techniques that will increase student engagement to a whole new level. Not only will you be exposed to the techniques, but you'll see real classroom footage showcasing the strategies in action allowing you to feel the magic. Additionally, you'll be provided with templates and PDFs so that you can print and use the resources the very next day.
Leave this workshop with an understanding of the following:
- The power of positive relationships
- The magic of making mistakes
- The purpose of precise praise
- The fearless approach to flexible grouping
- The quest of creating quality questions
- The development of dynamic discussions
- The thrill of timely, tranquil transitions
- The tangible reward behind time management
- The impact of setting instructional outcomes
- The value of student voice
- The leverage behind meaningful lesson prep
Sneak Peek...Hear Brandy and Dee Ann Talk About This Workshop
BUY THEIR BOOK! Coming Soon at Amazon.com
Dr. Brandy Hempen is a course instructor of educational technology and leadership at Western Governors University, Teachers College. Throughout her years in education, she served as a third-grade self-contained teacher, fifth-grade math and ELA teacher, 7th and 8th grade ELA teacher, and K-8 curriculum coordinator and instructional coach. She was the 2020 national recipient of the prestigious Presidential Award of Excellence in Math, Science, and Technology (PAEMST). In 2018, Dr. Hempen was 1 of 27 worldwide selected to serve as an emerging Leader in Education. Additionally, in her early years of teaching, she was selected as an Early Career Educator by the Illinois State Board of Education.
Dee Ann Schnautz, Ph.D., is an assistant professor of practice for Southern Illinois University-Carbondale, of Education where she trains, supervises, and supports teacher candidates. She also serves as a new teacher mentor, instructional coach, and PD provider for teachers and leaders. Throughout Dee’s years in education, she taught second and third grade combined in a rural school. She taught sixth, seventh, and eighth grade English Language Arts in the city schools. She served as a middle school assistant principal, an elementary principal, and a district office administrator where she was the director of curriculum, instruction, and assessments. Dr. Schnautz’s passion is to support, equip, and encourage teachers and educational leaders around the globe.
IL ASCD Member $199.00
Non-Member $248.00, 2 people $238.00, 3 people $228.00
How to Register:
- Online: Use your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express card at http://www.illinoisascd.org
- Call: 800-877-1478 or 309-438-2160, Mon. - Fri. 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. and use your Visa,
MasterCard, Discover, or American Express.
- Mail: Send completed form with check or copy of PO to IL ASCD Hempen/Schnautz— Illinois State University, Conference Services, Campus Box 8610, Normal, IL 61790-8610.
- Fax: Fax completed form to 309-438-5364 using your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express or a copy of school P.O.