Upcoming Conferences & Workshops
Promoting Authentic Engagement and Deep Learning
Through Culturally Responsive Teaching
April 20, 2022
Live, In-person or Online
4 PD Hours or AA Credit
In our pursuit of equity, we have to build our skill and capacity to help the most vulnerable students succeed, who are disproportionately racially and linguistically diverse. To achieve true equity, we have to do more than raise their test scores. We have to help them grow as learners. Culturally responsive pedagogy is uniquely positioned to help us leverage their funds of knowledge to accelerate their learning.
Many states have added cultural responsiveness to standards for the teaching profession. Yet, many districts struggle to bring authentic and effective culturally responsive practices into their curriculum and instruction beyond superficial efforts to celebrate different cultures through “food, fabric, and festivals.”
In this interactive session, educator and best-selling author, Zaretta Hammond, will bust myths about culturally responsive practice and share foundational practices from her book, Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain: Promoting Authentic Engagement and Rigor Among Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students Teaching (Corwin, 2015).
- Understand the real purpose behind the culturally responsive practice and correct common myths and misconceptions about culturally responsive teaching
- Build your own unique CRT blueprint for creating a culture of deep learning and belonging using culture
- Learn the 6 core design principles of culturally responsive teaching and the 4 core culturally responsive instructional practices
- Explore 3 ways to make your curriculum more culturally responsive beyond social justice themes
Who Should Attend
$250 for ILASCD Member
For group rates, please refer to the registration form by clicking on the register button below
How to Register
- Online: Use your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express card at http://www.illinoisascd.org
- Call: 800-877-1478 or 309-438-2160, Mon. - Fri. 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. and use your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express.
- Mail: Send completed form with check or copy of PO to IL ASCD CDLN— Illinois State University, Conference Services, Campus Box 8610, Normal, IL 61790-8610.
- Fax: Fax completed form to 309-438-5364 using your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express or a copy of school P.O.