Upcoming Conferences & Workshops
Secrets of Storytelling Math Teachers
February 10, 2022
9:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
5 PD Hours
Virtual or In-Person
Medinah Shrine Center
550 Shriners' Drive
Addison, IL 60101
(Parking & Meals included with onsite registration)
Students often like stories more than math. They consume stories voraciously and produce stories themselves. Cognitive psychologists also describe stories as "psychologically privileged", the triangle peg for our brain's triangular hole. Over the course of our workshop, you'll learn how teachers can apply the principles of incorporating stories into their math lessons, creating lesson launches that engage instructional moments that feel necessary, and opportunities for students to become authors of mathematical stories themselves.
In this workshop participants will learn:
- How mathematical storytellers launch their lessons, emphasizing questions before answers.
- How mathematical storytellers create a need for new learning.
- How mathematical storytellers give their students feedback on their journey.
- How to use technology to more effectively tell mathematical stories through social storytelling.
- The effect mathematical storytelling can have on a student's identity
Dan Meyer taught high school math to students who didn't like high school math. He has advocated for better math instruction on CNN, Good Morning America, every day with Rachel Ray, and TED.com. he earned his doctorate from Stanford University in math education and is the chief academic officer at Desmos, where he explores the future of math, technology, and learning. He has worked with teachers internationally and in all fifty united states. He was named one of the tech & learning's 30 leaders of the future.
Who Should Attend
Any math teacher, Title I math, special education, and administrators
$230 for ILASCD Member
For group rates, please refer to the registration form by clicking on the register button below
How to Register
- Online: Use your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express card at http://www.illinoisascd.org
- Call: 800-877-1478 or 309-438-2160, Mon. - Fri. 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. and use your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express.
- Mail: Send completed form with check or copy of PO to IL ASCD Meyer— Illinois State University, Conference Services, Campus Box 8610, Normal, IL 61790-8610.
- Fax: Fax completed form to 309-438-5364 using your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express or a copy of school P.O.