Upcoming Conferences & Workshops
Launching the Writer's Workshop Grades K-2
Featuring Kristina Smekens
A framework of lessons to help launch your writer's workshop!
Many teachers have confessed that they struggle to get their writer’s workshop off the ground. What should I do to get the writer's workshop started? What are key lessons to jump-start my writing curriculum? How fast or slow should I move? Regardless of the writing model you’re currently using, this online workshop provides K-2 teachers with a powerful framework of lessons that can help launch their writer's workshop. Throughout the workshop, teachers will have the opportunity to plot and plan their own instructional calendar for teaching in the writer's workshop format. At the end of the online workshop, teachers will be ready to launch their writer’s workshop with their personalized blueprints in hand!
- Understand the four phases of the workshop launch.
- Learn classroom-tested routines and procedures to establish the writing environment.
- Set the tone that writing occurs daily.
- Receive organizational ideas for writers’ notebooks.
- Learn day-by-day strategies to introduce the 6 Traits of Writing so teachers and students are using a common language.
- Balance free-choice writing topics with teacherassigned topics.
- Receive ready-to-go lessons with supporting resources, activity pages, and authentic student writing samples.
When you complete the workshop, you'll be able to:
- Kick off the school year with a 20-day "game plan" for teaching writing.
- Establish routines to effectively manage a writer's workshop.
- Address common writer dependencies with procedural mini-lessons.
- Implement a writer's notebook in the classroom.
- Lead efficient and effective writing conferences with students.
- Transition from procedural lessons into the first writing unit.
- K-2 Classroom teachers
- Literacy Coaches
- Title 1 Teachers/Directors
- ELL Teachers
- K-2 High-Ability Teachers
- Elementary Administrators
Upon Completion and submission of work you will be granted 6 professional development hours.
Receive a FREE digital copy of Launching the Writer's Workshop: Grades k-2 to use as the handout during the workshop. (A retail value of $28!)
Kristina Smekens has built a reputation for using enthusiasm, humor, and common sense to equip K-12 educators with practical, demystifying strategies for teaching reading and writing. Beyond providing teachers with
practical classroom techniques, Kristina is also a master of motivation. By demonstrating enthusiasm for innovation, she helps educators find the encouragement they need to return to their classrooms and execute change.As president and lead consultant for Smekens Education, she is constantly developing new strategies to help teachers meet the demands of today’s College and Career-Ready Standards.
Ways to Register
On-Line: Use your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express card at www.illinoisascd.org
Mail: Send completed form with check or copy of PO to: IL ASCD Smekens K-2— Illinois State University, Conference Services, Campus Box 8610, Normal, IL 61790-8610.
Fax: Fax completed form to 309-438-5364 using your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express or a copy of school P.O.
1 Person Each $139
2 People Each $130** (2 or more attendees from the same school district/organization.)
3 People Each $124**
Call for information on larger team discounts at (618)203-3993.
Registration deadline: February 21, 2021
A $15.00 fee will be charged for cancellations made in writing prior to the deadline. No refunds will be given after the deadline. Confirmation will be sent via e-mail after your registration is processed. Registrations can be transferred to another individual by faxing information to 309-438-5364 or by emailing email@example.com.