Upcoming Conferences & Workshops
Cultivating Math-Mindedness in ALL Students with Janet Moore
Join us as we reimagine mathematics instruction and explore strategies for building an intuitive understanding of math concepts from Kindergarten through High School. By recognizing common threads and making connections between math standards across grade levels, we can become better mathematics educators and help ALL of our students discover just how “math-minded” they can be.
In this session, participants will:
- Experience several examples of using a C-R-A (Concrete-Representational-Abstract) progression for teaching mathematics concepts at all grade levels
- Explore simple, yet powerful tools that provide a concrete foundation for building student understanding of challenging mathematics concepts
- Use K-2 strategies of composing and decomposing to make sense of traditionally challenging concepts in later grades (such as fractions and decimals, expressions and equations, and area and volume)
- Decode and reinterpret commonly misunderstood standards at various grade levels
- Trace the learning progression of concepts (such as fractions, multiplication, and division) from elementary school through high school, and identify opportunities for making connections between student prior knowledge and new mathematical content
Janet Moore is passionate about encouraging students to be curious, inspiring them to explore, and empowering them to experience success in mathematics and science. After teaching mathematics at Bureau Valley High School, Janet Moore became Lead Flight Director of the Challenger Learning Center in Bloomington, Illinois where she led students on simulated space missions, developed STEM curriculum materials, and provided professional development for teachers
Ways to Register
On-Line: Use your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express card at www.conferences.illinoisstate.edu/ILASCD
Mail: Send completed form with check or copy of PO to: ILASCD Janet Moore — Illinois State University, Conference Services, Campus Box 8610, Normal, IL 61790-8610.
Fax: Fax completed form to 309-438-5364 using your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express or a copy of school P.O.
Early Bird Rate - good thru 9/15/19: $125
IL ASCD Member $150
1 Person Each $198* (includes IL ASCD Membership)
2 People Each $178** (2 or more attendees for the same school district/organization. Does not include membership)
3 People Each $168**
Full-Time Student/Retiree $98
Registration deadline: January 22, 2020