Upcoming Conferences & Workshops
The Learning Pit with James Nottingham
The Learning Pit explains why more challenge leads to enhanced learning. It helps teachers structure lessons, and students challenge themselves. It shows teachers how to develop questioning and facilitation techniques, and by going through the pit, it helps students to grow their resilience, decision-making and higher-order thinking skills. Find out all about the Learning Pit from its creator, James Nottingham. This workshop will provide a clear path for engaging students in deep and meaningful learning. James will introduce the stages and steps, examples, tools and tactics to engage students in rigorous learning.
Registration Includes: 6 PD Hours and Continental Breakfast
Participants who attend this workshop will...
- Understand how the Learning Pit can be used to inspire and reassure students so that they
develop resilience, determination, learning strategies and metacognitive thinking.
- Learn the best strategies for guiding students into and out of the Learning Pit.
- Know when to support, when to challenge, when to confuse and when to engage students so that
they move from surface to deep learning.
- Identify the links between the Learning Pit and Carol Dweck’s Mindset as well as John Hattie’s
Mindframes for learning.
- Develop a common language for planning and reflecting on the learning process.
- Learn how to teach students to use “Pit Tools” so that they grow their independence and self-
This workshop will ...
- Provide a clear, concise and research-based approach to creating cognitively challenging
classrooms that captivate, activate and invigorate learners.
- Offer guidance as to the types of concepts to use to take students through the Learning Pit.
- Construct and consider new and innovative ways to promote stronger and deeper learning for
- Show how to create the conditions to encourage and support students’ deep understanding of
- Develop a framework and practical strategies that educators of all levels and disciplines can use
to educate students to think critically.
- Give real, practical examples of the best strategies for deepening learning.
Ways to Register
On-Line: Use your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express card at www.illinoisascd.org
Mail: Send completed form with check or copy of PO to: ILASCD Nottingham — Illinois State University, Conference Services, Campus Box 8610, Normal, IL 61790-8610.
Fax: Fax completed form to 309-438-5364 using your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express or a copy of school P.O.
Early Bird Rate - good thru 9/15/19: $179
IL ASCD Member $199
1 Person Each $248* (includes IL ASCD Membership)
2 People Each $228** (2 or more attendees from the same school district/organization. Does not include membership)
3 People Each $218**
Full-Time Student/Retiree $98
Call for information on larger team discounts at (618)203-3993.
Registration deadline: November 7, 2019
A $15.00 fee will be charged for cancellations made in writing prior to the deadline. No refunds will be given after the deadline. Confirmation will be sent via e-mail after your registration is processed. Registrations can be transferred to another individual by faxing information to 309-438-5364 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org