Upcoming Conferences & Workshops
Enhancing Positivity and Productivity
in Your School Office
In this one-day program for office professionals, you'll learn how to create boundaries and systems for dealing with difficult situations—no matter what comes your way. We'll explore strategies for de-escalating stressful interactions with parents, staff, and students, and for managing the challenging emotions that are an inherent part of working in the main office. You'll discover how to create systems for dealing with interruptions and handling everything that's clamoring for your attention, so you can get your key work done without feeling overwhelmed.
- De-Escalating Stressful Situations
- How to create and uphold boundaries for a safe, productive, professional office environment
- Specific phrases and nonverbal responses you can use to calm people down and help them get their problem resolved
- The neuroscience behind emotional regulation, and what happens in the brain and body when people become disregulated
- How to respond when people are disregulated or inappropriate, without taking it personally or trigging your own fight-or-flight response
- How to handle phone calls from irate parents and help them see you as an ally, not a target for their emotions
- The Starbucks Protocol for working as a team to deal with emotionally demanding situations
- High-Performance Systems for Office Productivity
- How to get your desk and email inbox clear every day, so you can focus on what needs your attention right now
- The "Future File" system for dealing with time-sensitive paperwork—without piles of clutter
- The "Chronological File" system for archiving most of the paperwork you handle without opening a file cabinet
- Matching tool to task—the right (and wrong) way to use calendars, sticky notes, and to-do lists to keep track of everything
- Dealing with Interruptions
- How to finish what you're working on, even when the phone is ringing off the hook (and no one else is picking up)
- Streamlining intra-office communication so everyone interrupts each other less and gets more done
- Self-service systems for students and staff—how to route routine requests to lists you can deal with when you're ready, instead of getting interrupted every time
- Working with Administrators and Staff
- Systems for effective workflow and communication with administrators
- What to say when you're asked to do too much at once—and how to protect the time you need for focused work, such as balancing accounts
- How to clarify your role's responsibilities when teachers and staff try to treat you as their personal secretary
- Having honest conversations with your administrative team to get the support and resources you need to succeed in your work
- Solving problems together—how to create a culture of continuous improvement in your office
Justin Baeder is the Director of The Principal Center and the High Performance Instructional Leadership Network. He's a regular speaker at NAESP, ASCD, and other conferences. You can read his new articles each week on techniques for productivity for school administrators and staff at Eduleadership.
Ways to Register
On-Line: Use your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express card at www.conferences.illinoisstate.edu/ILASCD
Mail: Send completed form with check or copy of PO to: ILASCD Beader — Illinois State University, Conference Services, Campus Box 8610, Normal, IL 61790-8610.
Fax: Fax completed form to 309-438-5364 using your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express or a copy of school P.O.
1 Person Each $125* ( Does not include membership)
Full-Time Student/Retiree $98
Registration deadline: July 25, 2019
A $15.00 fee will be charged for cancellations made in writing prior to the deadline. No refunds will be given after the deadline.
Confirmation will be sent via e-mail after your registration is processed. Registrations can be transferred to another individual by faxing information to 309-438-5364 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org