Upcoming Conferences & Workshops
Using Understanding By Design in the Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Classroom
with Amy J. Heineke
Morning Overview: General Linguistic Awareness
- Simulation of disciplinary language demands in classroom learning
- Analyzing the complexity of language: Functions, features, and demands
- Exploring linguistic registers: Math, science, social studies, and language arts
- Considering students’ language: Backgrounds, abilities, strengths, and needs
Afternoon: Language Lens in Instructional Design
- Pinpointing important, prevalent, and versatile disciplinary language
- Targeting language development in unit-level knowledge and skills
- Scaffolding assessments for students of varying proficiency levels
- Differentiating instruction to provide equitable access to text and tasks
Amy Heineke, Ph.D., is the Associate Professor of Bilingual & Bicultural Education in the School of Education at Loyola University Chicago. Her research focuses on teacher education policy and practice for linguistically diverse students, with strands focused on pre-service and in-service teachers’ preparation for English learners and language policy work in practice to support students’ learning and language development.
Ways to Register
On-Line: Use your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express card at www.conferences.illinoisstate.edu/ILASCD
Mail: Send completed form with check or copy of PO to: IL ASCD Heineke — Illinois State University, Conference Services, Campus Box 8610, Normal, IL 61790-8610.
Fax: Fax completed form to 309-438-5364 using your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express or a copy of school P.O.
IL ASCD Member $179
1 Person Each $228* (includes IL ASCD Membership)
2 People Each $198** (2 or more attendees for mthe same school district/organization. Does not include membership)
3 People Each $188**
Full-Time Student/Retiree $98
Registration deadline: Jan. 11, 2019
A $15.00 fee will be charged for cancellations made in writing prior to the deadline. No refunds will be given after the deadline.
Confirmation will be sent via e-mail after your registration is processed. Registrations can be transferred to another individual by faxing information to 309-438-5364 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org