Upcoming Conferences & Workshops
STRETCHING AT YOUR LEARNING EDGES, Growing (Up) at Work with Jennifer Abrams
NIU Naperville & Live Streamed
November 7, 2022
8:30 a.m.- 3:00 p.m. CST
1120 E Diehl Road, Naperville, IL
5.5 PD Hours, AA Pending
Free Parking, Continental Breakfast, and Buffet Lunch Included In-Person
As the lead learners in our schools, it is critically important that we strive to develop ourselves, not just as educators, but as human beings. The research supports this growth, indicating relational trust and collective efficacy are key factors in increasing student achievement. What the adults do matters. So, what can we do to be bigger and better versions of ourselves as collaborative team members and as leaders?
This workshop, based on Jennifer’s new book, Stretching Your Learning Edges: Growing (Up) at Work, will introduce us to adult developmental theory and to five focused ways we can develop ourselves at work.
We will build our skills to:
- know ourselves and our identities
- better suspend our certainty and think with greater complexity and openness
- take increased responsibility for our language and communications
- engage with reciprocity and live ‘out loud’ our belief of mutual respect for all
- build our resiliency and work on our emotional hygiene
Consider what it means, in practice, to grow (up) – to develop our skills and capacities as lead learners in our schools.
Conference Fees Include Abrams Book Stretching Your Learning Edges: Growing (Up) At Work
IL ASCD Member $284.00
Non-Member $333.00 (This includes IL ASCD membership)
How to Register:
- Online: Use your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express card at http://www.illinoisascd.org
- Call: 800-877-1478 or 309-438-2160, Mon. - Fri. 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. and use your Visa,
MasterCard, Discover, or American Express.
- Mail: Send completed form with check or copy of PO to IL ASCD Abrams— Illinois State University, Conference Services, Campus Box 8610, Normal, IL 61790-8610.
- Fax: Fax completed form to 309-438-5364 using your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express or a copy of school P.O.
Formerly a high school English teacher and new teacher coach, Jennifer Abrams is currently a communications
consultant who works with educators on building collaboration skills, having hard conversations and
creating healthy, professional school cultures.
Jennifer’s publications include Having Hard Conversations, The Multigenerational Workplace: Communicate, Collaborate & Create Community and Hard Conversations Unpacked - the Whos, Whens and What Ifs, Swimming in the Deep End: Four Foundational Skills for Leading Successful School Initiatives and Stretching Your Learning Edges: Growing (Up) at Work.
Jennifer writes a featured column for Learning Forward's The Learning Professional on growth and change and is a contributor to The International Educator focusing on adult development and collaboration.
Do you have anything interesting or exciting that focuses on "balance" in your work as a teacher or leader that you would like to share with educators around the state? This quarter's ILASCD journal will focus around the theme of balance. Let us know how you and your coworkers have created balance. We would love to hear from you!